VMware Cloud Community
olliraa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere licensing - advice needed

I've been trying to get in contact with the sales support without luck. Eventually I decided to ask it here, because I need the information as soon as possible.

Here are the specs:

-One physical server with the following CPU

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10 GHz
Logical Processors16
Sockets1
Cores per socket8
Hyper Threading Enabled

-Need to run 16 vCPUs -> virtualize two 8 core setups.

What would be the vSphere license, that we need to run that setup? I'm really confused regarding the (v)CPUs/cores etc. A license configurator on the website would be of great help Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your physical server has 1 socket with less than 32 cores, so you just need 1 license.

You could use a vSphere Hypervisor license - it's free but has no support, a maximum of 8 vCPUs per VM, no management via vCenter Server, and no backup APIs.

If you want support, or to get beyond any of the other vSphere Hypervisor limitations, you need a paid-for license - the various editions are discussed in this paper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your physical server has 1 socket with less than 32 cores, so you just need 1 license.

You could use a vSphere Hypervisor license - it's free but has no support, a maximum of 8 vCPUs per VM, no management via vCenter Server, and no backup APIs.

If you want support, or to get beyond any of the other vSphere Hypervisor limitations, you need a paid-for license - the various editions are discussed in this paper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thats easy.

vSphere ESXi Hypervisor(the free one): max. limited to 8vCPU per VM. Thats fits your needs. There is no limit how much Logic CPU the Hosts have.

vSphere Essentials Bundle: no vCPU limits per VM. Its a license bundle for up to 3 Hosts with 2 Sockets each and a vCenter essentials. Main reason to buy it to unlock the APIs for Backup and Monitoring and getting a vCenter. Costs around 500,-  and a 60,-Subscription per year which give you access to patches and the latest major release. So 60 bucks per year cover all (software) upgrade costs.

Regards,
Joerg

olliraa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, this is the info I was looking for Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
olliraa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, this is the info I was looking for Smiley Happy

I'd mark this also as the Correct answer, but apparently you can only select one.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although the main question has already be answerd, please allow me a comment regarding

-Need to run 16 vCPUs -> virtualize two 8 core setups.

The fact that the physical hardware which you want to virtualize has 8 cores, doesn't necessarily mean that the VMs need 8 cores too. This actually depends on the machine's workload, and I've rarely seen systems which continuously run at 100% CPU load.

ESXi schedules the CPU resources very well, so that you will be able to run more than just the two systems on the host.

André

0 Kudos