VMware Cloud Community
BillClarkCNB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere keeps misreporting SAN storage

Running ESXi 6.5.0 with a NetApp C190 SAN that we just expanded with more drives.  Prior to adding the new drives, we had two datastores:  DS1 (8.7TB total / 1.5TB free) & DS2 (8.3TB total / 3.5TB free).  Due to our threshold settings, DS1 would constantly show a low space warning.  After configuring new drives on the NetApp, and using vSphere to assign the new space to the existing datastores, we have the following:  DS1 (11.8TB total space), DS2 (11.3TB total space).  Everything looked good for a day and a half and then suddenly I get vSphere alert that DS1 has low space again.  I look at the storage and datastores through vSphere, and DS1 is now showing the original 8.7TB w/ 1.5TB free.  I look at the NetApp, and there are no errors and it still shows the correct available volume and LUN space.  In vSphere I click on DS1 and tell it to refresh/recalculate, and after a few seconds it now shows as 11.8TB total.  Thought this was a one time glitch, but a few hours later it did the same thing and DS2 also reverted back to showing the old total space.  What in the world is going on?  I restarted the vCenter virtual appliance thinking maybe it needed it after adding the new storage but that didn't do anything positive.  I don't see any other alerts or errors on either the ESX environment or the NetApp.  Not sure what is going on.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is that C190 Block or File or what do you use?

If Block. Press rescan storage on cluster level/or on every Host

If File. Press rescan storage on every Host

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is that C190 Block or File or what do you use?

If Block. Press rescan storage on cluster level/or on every Host

If File. Press rescan storage on every Host

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Get all your hosts to "rescan" for storage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
BillClarkCNB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are running all Block on that SAN.  I did run the rescan storage on each host and the cluster first thing this morning and so far it looks like it should.  Thinking back to when we originally added this extra space, we didn't run the rescan from the host or cluster, but only from the specific datastores.  Making sense now that this could cause the issue I was seeing.  Will monitor it throughout the day but so far it is looking as it should.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There have ben issues with the rescan in the past.

If the issues comes back, run vmkfstools -V (Not: the upper case "-V") on each host to do the rescan.

André

0 Kudos