VMware Cloud Community
mredwarren
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere install on Dell Poweredge T320

Good Evening VMware Community,

I am in need of some help. I have two Dell Poweredge T320 I am using for ESXi hosts however having an issue.

I set up a Virtual Disk with RAID 1 to mirror SAS HDD Disk 1 and Disk 2 and set up Hot Spare with the third SAS HDD. I initialized the VD.  The installation was successful on the first T320 but failed on the the second server.

Both servers have the Intel Xeon CPU E5-2420 @ 1.90GHz. 

1. Installed Successfully

ESXi Host #1, BIOS 1.4.6, PERC H710, 3TB SAS HDD, RAID 1 (2 SAS HDD, 1 SAS HDD Hot Spare)

2. Failed Installation

ESXi Host #2, BIOS 2.7.0, PERC H310 Ver. 20.12.2, 3TB SAS HDD, RAID 1 (2 SAS HDD, 1 SAS HDD Hot Spare)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciative.

Ed

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @mredwarren,

As you described everything perfectly and seems that same worked for one of your servers and looking at the specs I presume the issue is related of the firmware versions that are supported by ESXi. Could you please detail which version of ESXi are you trying to install?

Also remember to always use the vendor ISO from the MyVmware portal.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the perc h310 is not supported anymore with 7.0 - see the attached documents in : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/77304

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
PERC H310 controller would only be supported up to version 6.5.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io&details=1&keyword=H310&p...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

yes - but he is trying to install 7.0

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
the PERC H710 controller is supported for version 7.0.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=21816&vcl=true

You would have to install a DELL PERC H710 controller on the 2nd server Poweredge T320  (or another supported controller) to be able to install version 7.0.

You have to consider that the DELL server Poweredge T320 is not supported by VMware for versions higher than 6.5, which means that in case of problems with VMware on this server the help from VMware support will be limited regardless of your VMware support contract.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
mredwarren
Contributor
Contributor

Good Evening Enrique,

The ESXi setup is for a home network and is specifically for learning purposes.

Thank you and to all the experts here assisting me.

Ed

0 Kudos