VMware Cloud Community
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere cannot connect to <IP Address>. An unknown connenction error has occured. (The request failed because of a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server))

I know that there are other discussions, but none of them have really helped solve my problem. I am able to ping the machine that is running ESXi, but the browser and the vSphere client are refusing to connect to the machine. The IP of the machine is static, and they are both on the same subnet. I am using ESXi 5.5 because my server is a really old server.

When I connected to the machine just after it had installed vSphere, it connected, but it no longer connects. If I want to access anything on the machine, even the VMs, I have to use a network cable directly connecting the two machines. Please help me.

vSphereError.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies. Turns out that the cable i had used for the direct connection was the only working cable. I had gone out and bought a cable tester, and discovered that both the cables, except for the short one I used to connect to the server directly were, faulty. I crimped myself a cable and it is now working flawlessly. I apologize for wasting your time.

Thank you

- PocketWatch96

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you can connect to it using the desktop client when directly connected but can't over a network, then you probably have something at the networking level going on, possibly an IP conflict. That's where you should probably start looking.

0 Kudos
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can access the IPs that are being used through the router's page, and I am using 192.168.0.1/24, and the DHCP only assigns from 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.254. I can also see the IP of my machine on the client list of my router (router is a combo unit)

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Change the IP of the desktop used to connect to this ESXi host and see if that does anything.

0 Kudos
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Already done that, and tried using different hosts, still same error message.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case it's ESXi 5.5 U2, or later, see whether you can open the web client at https://192.168.0.100/ui/.

If that doesn't work run Test Management Network from the ESXi host's direct console (DCUI) to see whether the host can ping its targets.

André

PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies. Turns out that the cable i had used for the direct connection was the only working cable. I had gone out and bought a cable tester, and discovered that both the cables, except for the short one I used to connect to the server directly were, faulty. I crimped myself a cable and it is now working flawlessly. I apologize for wasting your time.

Thank you

- PocketWatch96

0 Kudos