VMware Cloud Community
snyderkv1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere can't connect to NetApp storage after power outage

A remote site had a TCF wide power outage today that bricked NetApp B. But we are still able to ping NetApp A from the ESX hosts. However, after removing the bad Nodes IP from the dynamic discovery tab and re-scanning HBA or even rebooting, we still can't connect or see any datastores.

Nothing has changed with NetApp besides the hard cycle bricking it's failover partner. The good node sucessfully took ownership of the volumes and luns. Their online and still mapped to the iGroup yada yada. Additionally, when I put the good nodes target IP back into the dynamic discovery, it doesn't automatically populate the static fields. No we're not using CHAP.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snyderkv1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed. The issue was Ontap 9.0 had a bug that causes it to fail when in a giveback state for long periods combined with a sudden power outage. Who would have known.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Been in contact with VMware Support?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Take a look into vmkernel log during rescanning.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
snyderkv1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No we spent all day with NetApp. How is this a vmware problem? Every host can't connect to storage. It's doubtful that every host is bad.

0 Kudos
snyderkv1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ill check the vmkernel log when I get in but anything else I can try in my lab while at home?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If it's not a VMware problem, why post the question on here and not a NetApp forum?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
snyderkv1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I posted under keywords storage and netapp. Not sure how it works. Plus virtualization usually includes storage at least in all the jobs I've had. If anyone knows storage, I'll be waiting to hear.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So this might be a good place to get help: Home - NetApp Community

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well.. since storage is most of the time part of the game a lot of the guys have knowledge about. But you havent share any usefull information so nobody can jump in.

0 Kudos
tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you press the add storage button on ESXi, do you see datastores across? If this is the case, the partition table may be corrupt and you may have to create the partition table again.

Can you take lun's snapshot on Netapp and connect it to the esxi host? Maybe there may be a workaround.

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
0 Kudos
snyderkv1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed. The issue was Ontap 9.0 had a bug that causes it to fail when in a giveback state for long periods combined with a sudden power outage. Who would have known.

0 Kudos