VMware Cloud Community
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vSphere Licensing Different Versions

Hi,

One of my customer had queries about vSphere licensing different versions as stated below:

• Can we have cluster with one host licensed with vSphere Enterprise and second node with vSphere Standard?
  • Can vSphere Enterprise license be downgraded to Standard?
  • Is it still possible to downgrade new license Standard key to version 5?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Pravesh Kaushal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes.

Yes you can run a mixed Cluster with different vSphere Editions. Of course you cant activate or use one of the higher Features in the cluster or on one of the hosts.

I have speak with VMware this week and they denied a license downgrade option. Not sure about next week... and not sure if youre a ELA Customer. But for the normal customer there is no option right now. You stay on Enterprise or have to buy the E+ Upgrade. The 50% promo ends a year ago. Most of my customers choose the upgrade option and grab the promo from 2 years ago.

If you buy a license today it is always the Current version which i right now vSphere 6. You can downgrade your version in the MyVMware portal. Thats is a normal behavior and so it works all the years. Keep notice that support for 5.5 ended in 9/2018.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Pravesh Kaushal

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

• Can we have cluster with one host licensed with vSphere Enterprise and second node with vSphere Standard?

Yes but that's highly discouraged and not a good idea.

• Can vSphere Enterprise license be downgraded to Standard?

You'd have to talk to your account team on that one. The Enterprise license is gone, so I'm not sure.

• Is it still possible to downgrade new license Standard key to version 5?

If you mean downgrade a key version from 6 => 5 then possibly. I honestly haven't tried to ever do that.

Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Do we have any VMware doc that I can share with my client for first two queries, much appreciated.

Regards

Pravesh Kaushal

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not that I can give you off the top of my head. You're welcome to use Google and review the official product documentation, however.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes.

Yes you can run a mixed Cluster with different vSphere Editions. Of course you cant activate or use one of the higher Features in the cluster or on one of the hosts.

I have speak with VMware this week and they denied a license downgrade option. Not sure about next week... and not sure if youre a ELA Customer. But for the normal customer there is no option right now. You stay on Enterprise or have to buy the E+ Upgrade. The 50% promo ends a year ago. Most of my customers choose the upgrade option and grab the promo from 2 years ago.

If you buy a license today it is always the Current version which i right now vSphere 6. You can downgrade your version in the MyVMware portal. Thats is a normal behavior and so it works all the years. Keep notice that support for 5.5 ended in 9/2018.

Regards,

Joerg

Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Regards

Pravesh

0 Kudos