VMware Cloud Community
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Host Unable to Boot After Removing Harddisk

I have a vSphere host with 4 harddisk - harddisk 1, harddisk 2, harddisk 3, harddisk 4. I have set up a data store on each harddisk, so there are 4 data stores - Datastore1, Datastore2, Datastore3 and Datastore4.

Months ago, the harddisk 3 failed but the host was still able to boot. Last week, I tried to remove harddisk 3 from host but accidentally, I removed hardddisk 4. Then the host is unable to boot, when I boot the host, the host just hangs at cursor without showing the VMWare console.

Anyone know what the problem is?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi again,

In the BIOS are you able to see hd4?

Check it in the BIOS boot order if it appears.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well it seems that you had the Hypervisor installed there...

Aren't you able to put the hd4 again?

Also, you said hangs at cursor, it shows the BIOS and then try to boot from the Hypervisor?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I have plugged hd4 to the host again but the host failed to boot. In fact, the host passes the BIOS and then hangs at blinking cursor when it tries to boot VMWare.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi again,

In the BIOS are you able to see hd4?

Check it in the BIOS boot order if it appears.

0 Kudos
Mats_Hardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help, your solution worked. After I set hd1 to 1st boot, the vSphere host boots again.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nice to hear!

BIOS boot order rules, so you should put the disk you want to boot first.

0 Kudos