VMware Cloud Community
jyingling1
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Data protection backup (VDP) job taking a long time

Hello,

We have 16 VMs in a vsphere data protection backup job. The job is responsible for copying our VMs from one building to another. Our buildings are connected via fiber and i've checked the links on both sides. The links are not saturated, using only approx 10 MBs on each side. However, our backup job that runs nightly, which usually only takes approx 90 minutes is now taking over 36 hours to complete. I have attempted to reboot the virtual appliance that hosts VDP as well as the physical ESX host that it's on, to no avail. This started happening around 12/3/19. I applied VMware updates on 12/4, not realizing that our backup job was having an issue. Troubleshooting so far:

-Rebooted ESX hosts

-Rebooted VDP virtual appliance

-Made sure that VMware tools were updated on all VMs in the backup jobs

-Rebooted all servers in backup job

-Noticed that around 12/3, I have a bunch of random "reload virtual machine" events in the VDP appliance event log

VMware Vsphere version: ESXi 6.0.0 15169789

vSphere Data Protection version 6.1 (6.1.4.30)

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As you probably know, VDP is a dead product at this point and only has support for another 3 months. I'd recommend you phoning GSS and get their help. Now would be a good time to start looking for a backup product which is half-way decent and also has a life ahead of it.

0 Kudos