VMware Cloud Community
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 7 lab and HPe Gen8 hardware

Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade the lab from 6.5 to 7 before I do it for real.  Only problem is that my HPe Gen8 hardware isn't on the vSphere 7 compatibility list, so I may run into some fun.  So far I have confirmed the CPUs in my lab servers are still supported on vSphere 7.  I'm wondering if I should still use the HPe custom image ISO to run the upgrade or should I just use the generic ISO from VMware ?  I am thinking the vSphere 7 custom image for HPe will likely install drivers and software that simply isn't supported.

VMware_ESXi_7.0.0_16324942_HPE_700.0.0.10.5.5.46_Jun2020.iso

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

If version 6.5 was installed with a custom HP image, then it would be best to install the update with the standard VMware image. in this way the HP drivers are maintained and the VMware own packages are updated.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!  You know I can't recall how the servers were originally built.  I am sure I used the HPe custom ISO.  What's a good way to confirm, just do a vib list and review?  If HPe VIBs are present, the custom ISO was likely used?

**Disregard, I can see in the configuration section of vCenter it tells me...  HPE-ESXi-6.5.0-Update2-iso-Gen9plus-650.U2.10.3.5.5.  Now why I used the Gen9plus ISO for a gen 8 server, not sure.

Regards,
Adam Tyler

0 Kudos
beaubarendt
Contributor
Contributor

I originally installed my 6.5 using the HPE ISO - I upgraded them with the 7.0.3 HPE ISO and didn't have any problem (so far).  I would add that before upgrading to 7.x I had upgraded to 6.7 and while it worked, I did have an issue from time to time in which the NIC driver for the mezzanine adapters would go offline - the integrated NICs would still work, so all I really lost was redundancy - but so far I have not had that happen with the 7.0.3 system I upgraded.

0 Kudos