VMware Cloud Community
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 7.0.steps to share VMFS datastores between two ESXi hosts

I've posted a question about this early and it helped clear up issues like licensing that kept sharing from happening. I've cleared that up but I have not been able to share two host using VFMS datastores.

I have followed these steps Ito setup vMotion networking. https://www.nakivo.com/blog/configuring-esxi-vmotion-network/  But when I go to migrate an VM, I don't see the host that I want to migrate to.

Both host are in a cluster, I've turn off HA and DRS for now, do they have to be enabled for Vmotion to work? 

I'm hoping that someone can provide an resource that has clear and concise instruction on how to configure vCenter to share datastore between hosts.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you only have local datastores, the option that you want to select from the migration wizard is "Change both compute resource and storage".

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you only have local datastores, the option that you want to select from the migration wizard is "Change both compute resource and storage".

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As discussed in your previous thread, hosts don’t share their local VMFS datastores with one another.

You must migrate the VM from the local datastore of the source host to the local datastore of the destination host if you want to the VM to run on the destination host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Share was the wrong word to use. Migrating VM to another host works when you select the right option as Andre stated. Thanks!

0 Kudos