VMware Cloud Community
Miller8500
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.7 license issue

Installed vSphere 6.7 on Windows 2016 server, added Hosts, tried vMotion and I get a license error. vSphere is on the evaluation license and the Hosts are on vSphere 6 Essentials Plus. Attached snippets of error and licenses. I was trying to use the Migrate function to move the storage of a VM server from a shared storage to a different shared storage. I receive the license error when I am in the compatibility step of the Migrate wizard and I can not move past it. What am I missing? 

VM.png

VM1.png

VM3.png

  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vMotion, and Storage vMotion are two different things.

vMotion migrates workloads (VMs) from one host to another, letting the storage in place.
Storage vMotion is the process of migrating the VM's files to another datastore?

Anyway, what Essentials Plus supports is "Change both compute resource and storage", which even supports migrating VMs between hosts without shared datastores. A requirement for this is to specify another storage as well as another host in the migration wizard.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vMotion, and Storage vMotion are two different things.

vMotion migrates workloads (VMs) from one host to another, letting the storage in place.
Storage vMotion is the process of migrating the VM's files to another datastore?

Anyway, what Essentials Plus supports is "Change both compute resource and storage", which even supports migrating VMs between hosts without shared datastores. A requirement for this is to specify another storage as well as another host in the migration wizard.

André

0 Kudos
Miller8500
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am only trying to move the storage, which is an option when going through the Migrate wizard. I receive the error when I select the new storage during the compatibility stage of the Migrate wizard.

0 Kudos
Miller8500
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should add to my original post, I was trying to use the Migrate function to move the storage of a VM server from a shared storage to a different shared storage. I receive the license error when I am in the compatibility step of the Migrate wizard and I can not move past it. What am I missing? 

0 Kudos