Author : Divya Ramabhadran
Topic Name : Shutting Down and Restarting the vSAN Cluster
Publication Name : vSAN Monitoring and Troubleshooting
Product/Version : VMware vSphere/7.0
When comparing 'https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.vsan-monitoring.doc/GUID-31B4F958-3...', it seem like v6.7 don't need to off DRS and HA before shutdown. Is it true? When i try to turn off DRS of a VSAN lab 6.7 setup, it prevent the action and state vApp need to be deleted first. I don't have a vSphere 7 lab at the moment, can I assume DRS can be turned off with vApp in the cluster?
If you disable DRS, the resource pools are removed from the cluster. If you are doing something you can change the DRS mode to "manual" and then you can perform your activity without any issue. once you done your work, just need to change the DRS mode from Manual to fully Automated.
lab is a 4 Nodes cluster VSAN 6.7, I followed the 6.7 shutdown method before and did not notice issue.
When I read up on VSAN 7 steps, it include steps to off DRS and HA, which puzzle me. When I tried to off DRS, it wouldn't allow it without deleting first. (don't have a VSAN 7 lab)
If I understood you correctly, switch DRS to manual and there is no requirement to off DRS. Then the question, is it required for 6.7, since it is not stated in the steps as required to make any change to the DRS (and HA).
other questions are; (and ALL readers)
1. why vSphere 7 (VSAN) and v6.7 steps are difference? Why the next version required more steps?
2. For vSphere 7, does it mean we can off DRS without deleting the vAPP first.. (or switching to manual). What is the experience while doing this on a VSAN 7?
3. What is the impact using vSphere 6.7 steps (I would make this type of mistake) on a vSphere 7 system?
The documentation is wrong, there;s no need to disable DRS at all. I will get that fixed. Keep in mind that a vApp is essentially a resource pool with VM entities, disabling DRS would be problematic for those vApps, so do not disable it!
1. why vSphere 7 (VSAN) and v6.7 steps are difference? Why the next version required more steps? I don’t see any much difference. If you look the 7.0 they mentioned in more details. Same steps following for 6.7 as well.
2. For vSphere 7, does it mean we can off DRS without deleting the vAPP first.. (or switching to manual). What is the experience while doing this on a VSAN 7? No. If you are using vapps or resource pool must NOT to disable DRS in either 6.7 or 7.0. If you disable you will be loose vapps and resource pool. So you must set DRS to manual mode.
3. What is the impact using vSphere 6.7 steps (I would make this type of mistake) on a vSphere 7 system? I don’t see any impact as long as set DRS to manual mode due to using vApps or resource pool.
Also, I don’t see documentation problem. If in case assume have documentation problem then vmware need to fix it.