VMware Cloud Community
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

vSphere 6.7 U3 and DL380gen8p

Hello,

i have done an update of my vsphere environment to u3. Since then, the webclient and also vRO shows me a hardware failure.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

I have tried to clear all Logs in ILO. Also i have updated ILO to the latest Version of 2.7. But it the issue remains.

Anyone also have that problem?

Thanks

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
4 Replies
tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Gen 8 Servers do not support vSphere 6.7 Update 3. vSphere 6.7 Update 1 and vSphere 6.7 Update 2. But I have never seen such a Advisory regarding vSphere 6.7 Update 3.

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

I second Tayfun's response.  Gen8 servers from HPe are "Post Production" and are not on the HCL for ESXi 6.7 U3.  Unfortunately, it's time for a hardware refresh.

0 Kudos
PatrickDLong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While I agree with earlier posters tayfundeger  and Tibmeister​ that the Gen8 servers from HPE are no longer on the ESXi 6.7 HCL and you should not run that combination in a production environment because it is unsupported, in my opinion JimKnopf99 's issue is more likely the result of changes to the ESXi 6.7 U3  handling of hardware sensors and resultant increased logging of Hardware Sensor Status events - his screenshot shows the 0.23.11 device System Chassis 1 UID in "Unbekannt" or unknown state.  This is NOT due to his Gen8 host no longer being on the HCL -  I have the same "unknown" status on the same 0.23.11 System Chassis 1 UID device on ALL my Gen9 and Gen10 hosts (that device ID is slightly different on Gen10's - 0.23.1174) that have been upgraded to 6.7 U3.  The screenshot below is from a Gen9 BL460c running 6.7 U3, and that Gen9 hardware (and obviously Gen10 as well) is absolutely on the HCL for the 6.7 U1-3 releases.  I have all latest firmware, iLo, drivers, and HPE managment .vibs installed on these hosts.

0.23.11_device_status_unknown_ESXI6.7U3.png

JimKnopf99 I would try the workaround described in VMware KB 74608 to disable WBEM services on your host, so long as you can deal with disabling ALL vSphere hardware alerting for these hosts, a workaround which I choose not to implement.  It's not an ideal workaround IMO; akin to your car dealer telling you that the workaround to inadvertent check engine light is to snip all the wiring going to your dashboard until they come up with a fix for the root cause.  We have been waiting patiently more than 2 months for the first post-U3 patch to be released which hopefully will address this hardware sensor issue.  See a longer post with more details here: Too many events "Host hardware sensor state" after ESXi upgrade 6.5 to 6.7U3

Cheers,

Patrick

0 Kudos
PatrickDLong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although the "Sensor System Chassis 1 UID" still shows as Unknown Status in the Hardware Health monitor for me after upgrade, it appears as though the 'Sensor -1 health events flooding the logs' issue is resolved in patch ESXi-6.7.0-20191104001 released last night:  VMware ESXi 6.7, Patch Release ESXi670-201911001

"After upgrading to ESXi 6.7 Update 3, you might see Sensor -1 type hardware health alarms on ESXi hosts being triggered without an actual problem. This can result in excessive email alerts if you have configured email notifications for hardware sensor state alarms in your vCenter Server system. These mails might cause storage issues in the vCenter Server database if the Stats, Events, Alarms and Tasks (SEAT) directory goes above the 95% threshold."

Testing now...

Cheers,

Patrick

0 Kudos