VMware Cloud Community
mtrosenecker
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.7 DCUI Unresponsive after USB Controller Passthrough

So, I came upon a rather annoying quirk with 6.7.  To an extent, it makes sense why this happened, but I wanted to warn people about it going forward:

I recently enabled PCIe PassThrough on my Cisco C220 M4S server, and I mapped a VM to the two USB controllers on the motherboard.  Doing so (predictably) prevented me from being able to use local USB ports on the host to control the DCUI.  Unfortunately, it also prevented me from using the CIMC virtual KVM feature, as well (so, essentially the DCUI was useless).

To try and fix this issue, I removed the mapping of the USB controllers to the VM and restarted the host.  This did *NOT* restore DCUI functionality!

Once the host was back online, I used the web interface to disable PCIe PassThrough altogether, and I restarted the host.  This, too did *NOT* restore DCUI functionality. 

I read articles about this being an issue in the past, but it was on 5.0 and earlier ESX hosts (not ESXi), so the troubleshooting methods (editing /etc/modules.conf) did not apply here. 

I was able to interact with the SSH console, but here's where things get REALLY screwy.  I went through the SSH CLI to change the IP address of vmk0 (it wouldn't let me do this via the web gui).  The IP address would successfully change, and I could access the web gui of the host on the new IP address.  If I reboot the host, however, it *REVERTS* back to the prior IP address for vmk0.

Has anyone ever seen that?

Troubleshooting the problem wasn't worth the time, so I am rebuilding the host from scratch.  Just curious as to if anyone had seen either of those issues...

Mark Rosenecker

0 Kudos
0 Replies