VMware Cloud Community
GarrettHayes
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.7 Allow CD-ROM from datastore but Block CD and USB Client Devices

I'm having a bit of a struggle with a rights assignment issue.  For a given set of users on a given set of VMs (in a resource pool) I need to allow the users to mount ISOs from the datastore, but prevent them from connecting a Client Device, either CD or USB.

However, the rights combinations I have tried seem to block all device connections, not just the client devices..  Can anyone suggest an appropriate setting?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It might help to say what you have tried…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
GarrettHayes
Contributor
Contributor

There are really only two privileges which I see that seem to bear on this.  Under "Virtual Machine", they are "Configure CD Media" and "Connect Devices".

If I enable "Configure CD Media", the user can specify for example that the CD drive uses a Datastore file, and they can browse to the file.  If this is disabled, they can't do even that.

If I enable "Connect Devices", the user can connect the CD Drive, but they can also connect USB devices as well.  If I disable this, then they can't connect either.

I'm looking for a way (if one exists) to allow the user to connect the CD drive to a datastore ISO, but NOT connect any client devices, either USB or CD.

0 Kudos