VMware Cloud Community
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.5 (vCenter 6.7) - is there anywhere to view the System Event Logs (SEL)

I have searched and searched and find any info that tells me where to look for this version. I want to see what the

logs look like before I write a script to clear them. Ty.

...ar

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here in the new interface, it should be a similar spot in the older flash interface, I don't have access to an environment with that at the moment for a picture.

pastedImage_0.png

or

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

These should help.

ESXi 6.5: ESXi Log File Locations

vCenter Server 6.7: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The one and only SEL which iam aware of is more Server HW related rather than OS (ESXi) .

As a Dell shop we use OpenManage Intergration for VMware vCenter to see the SEL within vSphere Client.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Joerg.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ESXiClash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your SEL logs is fetch via host there is native Agent related to Vendor specific will running on host.

you can clear them via Power CLI https://vcloudvision.com/2019/11/26/clearing-esxi-system-event-log-sel-via-powercli/

https://vcloudvision.com/2019/11/26/clearing-esxi-system-event-log-sel-via-powercli/

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

ESXiClash

good catch!

The Host Hardwarestatus shows the same as the Vendor plugin. But the delete button shows now effect.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on the vendor if the host hardware tab clear works or not, I know with ucs b200 blades its clears the sell logs, at least in with the firmware we have.

0 Kudos
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, I wasn't clear. Is there any way to see the logs in the UI for 6.5 ? I am writing a script and I want to see that when I run the script it actually does clear the logs.

Yes I could log in and check file sizes but I was wondering if it was accessible through the GUI or is it only command line?

...ar

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, i can see in a vCenter 6.7 on a 6.5 or 6.7 the SEL.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uh, okay. Where?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here in the new interface, it should be a similar spot in the older flash interface, I don't have access to an environment with that at the moment for a picture.

pastedImage_0.png

or

0 Kudos
alraczek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sjesse thank you! Seems I am VMware GUI challenged.

..ar

0 Kudos