VMware Cloud Community
TehNaterz
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.5 servers, VMs slowing down to unusable, host not much better

Hello folks,

I'm looking at a strange issue. I have two, very dissimilar hardware (one's newer Intel xeon, the other ancient AMD Opteron), but they are exhibiting the same behavior. After a week or so of being online, the VM Performance slows to a crawl. The Xeon box is running a server 2016 VM, and if I can RDP into the vm, I probably cannot do very much, usually get kicked out of the session multiple times, and the VM will not reboot. It just bogs down to nothing if I try to reboot it. The Opteron box is running two Ubuntu 18.04 servers, and I cannot even SSH into the VMs. One of the servers is running a wordpress site, and that site is inaccessible at that time.

Additionally, the Web management interface of the VMhosts is slow to respond as well. The only solution so far, has been to reboot the host. Then everything returns to normal for a few weeks.

Has anyone come across this behavior? I'm wondering if this happened after a newer patch or something. This is the build I'm currently running: 6.5.0 Update 2 (Build 10175896)

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Well...

Did you check with esxtop anything of this host?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you please share more about your complete hardware config, are these "custom" whitebox servers or name brand servers?

0 Kudos
TehNaterz
Contributor
Contributor

I'll have to check esxitop next time it happens.

The Xeon server is an IBM X-server of some model, I'll have to check next time I have access to it. The Opteron is a whitebox. Its got a Quad-Core AMD Opteron Processor 1352, 8GB RAM, Tyan Tomcat n3400B Motherboard, couple o SATA drives, nothin' special. It really doesn't do much most of the time.

Thanks,

0 Kudos