VMware Cloud Community
Qann
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.5, losing net connectivity on the hypervisor with 2019-01-31 update.

I recently did a fresh Esxi install to Sun Fire x4270 M2 that I have sent to a DC.

Installed Esxi 6.5, I had to go through ignoreHeadless=TRUE steps but that is just fine.

After that, I upgraded the image profile to ESXi-6.5.0-20190104001-standard (Build 11925212)

Later that day, when I visited Speedtest.net on a VPS, I stumbled upon a rather weird problem. As soon as the download test was done and upload test was hitting some 700-800Mb I lost all connectivity. Not just the VPS, the whole machine had lost internet connectivity.

(Onboard Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection with igb drivers connected to Gbit upstream)

I tried this a few times and confirmed that it happened all the time, then reverted back to the old version. On the old version there were no such problems.

I tried booting a live debian distro and test it there and didn't encounter any problems there either.

So I tried installing Esxi from scratch using another iso. AFter installation it was fine. The moment I upgrade it to the latest image profile the whole machine becomes useless. I tried reverting back and upgrading to ESXi-6.5.0-20181101001s-standard. Since there were no errors at that version, I stayed there.

But it is rather weird to see the whole machine loses internet connectivity on that version. Also checking on ILOM, I was only able to see that ethtool did see there was link but no packages were being sent or received. Since I couldn't find any mail to report this, I am trying my chances here.

0 Kudos
0 Replies