VMware Cloud Community
rbae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.5 can only be configured with 1 Gb Network ports

I have a new Dell R740xd which has 2x1Gb ports and 2x10Gb ports.  After installing vSphere ESXi 6.5 and attempting to configure the network on the host, I found that it only sees the 1 Gb ports.  Is there something in the config/BIOS that I need to set up so that I can use the 10 Gb ports?

Thank you for your help.

-Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you use the Dell OEM image to install ESXi? It likely contains the required/additional drivers for the network adapter.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello Rbae,

can you run the command esxcli network nic list or esxcfg-nics -l and share us the output.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
rbae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MS,

Here it is:

[root@ma:~] esxcfg-nics -l

Name    PCI          Driver      Link Speed      Duplex MAC Address       MTU    Description

vmnic0  0000:01:00.0 ntg3        Up   1000Mbps   Full   00:0a:f7:bd:41:ce 1500   Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet

vmnic1  0000:01:00.1 ntg3        Up   1000Mbps   Full   00:0a:f7:bd:41:cf 1500   Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet

Thanks,

-Ryan

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you use the Dell OEM image to install ESXi? It likely contains the required/additional drivers for the network adapter.

André

0 Kudos
rbae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André.

I did not know that there was such a thing.  I will see if I can get a copy of the OEM image.

Thanks,

-Ryan

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can find the latest image (ESXi 6.5U1) at VMware ESXi 6.5 U1 Driver Details | Dell US

André

0 Kudos
rbae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it - thank you.  I'll re-install with the new image tonight.

-Ryan

0 Kudos
rbae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you André - that was the solution.

-Ryan

0 Kudos