VMware Cloud Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 6.5 Extended Support?

We have a very large environment that is all vSphere 6.5 and it will be mostly decommissioned early 2022. It would be a massive undertaking to go to vSphere 6.7 or 7.0 and stability is key. Does anyone have any experience with extended support on vSphere? Is it costly in general? Any reasons not to do this besides limited HTML client on 6.5?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@dborgill 

Might be an idea to talk with whoever looks after your VMware licensing/support contract...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello

The End of General support

VMware vSphere 6.0 March 12,2020

VMware vSphere 6.5 November 15,2021

VMware vSphere 6.7 October 15,2022

link: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/66977

I think with some luck it will be enough, another option would be to migrate to version 6.7, which does not involve major risks.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt Thank you - I realize this eventually would need to go to Sales rep to get pricing etc. I was more curious about if anyone had any experience with extended support, etc.

@e_espinel  Thanks for the details. I think the biggest concern was this environment is extremely large and very sensitive to downtimes, stability, etc. Upgrading to 6.7 now and then having to do it all over again for 7.0 next year is what I am trying to avoid. 

0 Kudos