VMware Cloud Community
Nightdragon15
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.5 Enterprise Plus doesn't include vCenter Server?

I have a license for vSphere 6.5 Enterprise Plus (education, but this shouldn't change anything). I am trying to figure out how to download and install vCenter Server, but I am not allowed to download it because of lack of permission on the website. So I contacted VMware and I have a rep that is trying to tell me that vCenter Server is not included in vSphere and it is a completely separate license that needs to be purchased. I have found docuentatin from VMware that states that vSphere includes vCenter, but the rep keeps telling me no.

Here is the link that I found that shows that it is included: VMware vSphere 6.5 Release Notes

It states specifically under what's new that "This release of vSphere 6.5 includes ESXi 6.5 and vCenter Server 6.5."

Can anyone else verify if it is or is not included?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

From a licensing perspective, there are two separate purchases and keys required to form vSphere. Enterprise Plus applies to ESXi hosts. vCenter Server Standard is a separate license key that is required. The release notes are just saying what vSphere is, not how you purchase it.

0 Kudos
Nightdragon15
Contributor
Contributor

From a new customer point of view that is a really confusing way to word things. I am glad that I have access to free license options because on an enterprise level I can't even imagine spending over 4,000 dollars jut for a basic esxi server that you really can't do much with except install and manage VMs, I could do all that easier and better using Hyper-V. So far I am having nothing but a negative experience using all of the VMware products compared to Hyper-V. I don't understand why people spend thousands of dollars for this when they can get a better product for free.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's like SCVMM if you think about it. vSphere is a bundle--a logical combination of two separate pieces of software. It encompasses ESXi (licensed one of many ways) and vCenter (licensed just a few ways). If you are going to use Enterprise Plus features, you need to have vCenter Server, because otherwise it's just a standalone host.

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Server Virtualization Software | vSphere | VMware | UK

This shows vCenter as being "(sold separately)".

You possible would have been better off getting "vSphere Essentials" - https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/vsphere/vmw-flyr-vspherecomparekit...

0 Kudos