VMware Cloud Community
commguy101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.5 Enhanced Linked Mode Configuration

A simple question around vSphere Enhanced Linked Mode configurations.

The supported topologies are here: VMware Knowledge Base https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147672

What I am trying to do is end up with 3 different sites; Site1, Site2, Site3. Each site is in a separate area of the country, so I have concerns about having only 1 PSC at 1 location and pointing all other VCSA's to it.

What I would like to do is have 1 VPSC and 1 VCSA at each site, all joined to the same SSO domain in enhanced linked mode. From the topology KB linked above, it looks like the only way I can have more than 1 site each with their own VPSC is to use a third party load balancer, however I do not believe this is accurate.

At a previous company I had 4 sites, each with their own VPSC and VCSA but all in one SSO domain in enhanced linked mode with no issues. Am I reading the supported topologies wrong?

The 4th option down form the top states:

• 1 Single Sign-On domain
  • 1 Single Sign-On site
  • 2 or more external Platform Services Controllers

It does show multiple VPSCs without a load balancer but only allows 1 site, so I am confused. Each office would be it's own 'site' but I would not be using a third party load balancer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can have three sites with one PSC and vCenter in each site and no load balancer. The PSCs should replicate PSC1 <-> PSC2 <-> PSC3 <-> PSC1 so if one PSC fails then the otherns are still able to replicate.

If you need a PSC HA configuration where one PSC can fail then you need two PSCs and load balancer in each site which has that availability requirement.

You can have two PSCs in a site whithout a load balancer but a vCenter server can 'point' to one PSC only so it that PSC fails it can be repointed to a PSC in the same site (not in a different site).

Repoint vCenter to PSC in same site VMware Knowledge Base

Repointing vCenter to a PSC in a different site is not supported with 6.5 VMware Knowledge Base

So if a PSC fails you can't repoint vCenter 6.5 to a PSC in a different site.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can have three sites with one PSC and vCenter in each site and no load balancer. The PSCs should replicate PSC1 <-> PSC2 <-> PSC3 <-> PSC1 so if one PSC fails then the otherns are still able to replicate.

If you need a PSC HA configuration where one PSC can fail then you need two PSCs and load balancer in each site which has that availability requirement.

You can have two PSCs in a site whithout a load balancer but a vCenter server can 'point' to one PSC only so it that PSC fails it can be repointed to a PSC in the same site (not in a different site).

Repoint vCenter to PSC in same site VMware Knowledge Base

Repointing vCenter to a PSC in a different site is not supported with 6.5 VMware Knowledge Base

So if a PSC fails you can't repoint vCenter 6.5 to a PSC in a different site.

0 Kudos
commguy101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos