VMware Cloud Community
JonSnoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMotion in vSphere

Hi folks,

Before answering RTFM, I do. Thing is, English isn't my first language and sometimes, I am not sure if I did understand correctly, and translation leads to misinterpretation  most of the times.

In the manual, it says that you should dedicate a uplink to vMotion itself, but can we just give him a PortGroup with a VMkernel only to stay inside the vSphere network ?

As I understand, it won't go through the pSwitch and it will stay within the vSphere environment.

Thank you

Steven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I understand, it won't go through the pSwitch and it will stay within the vSphere environment.

No, there is no "stay within the vSphere environment" when you're talking about host-to-host communication. That vMotion traffic will have to leave the host, get switched/routed at the physical layer, and passed to a destination host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, there is no "stay within the vSphere environment" when you're talking about host-to-host communication. That vMotion traffic will have to leave the host, get switched/routed at the physical layer, and passed to a destination host.

0 Kudos
JonSnoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alright, thank you for the answer !

Cheers

Steven

0 Kudos