VMware Cloud Community
pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vMotion and EVC

Hello Experts,

Please help me to find out if we need to enable evc for vMotion to work in a cluster where I have Intel 6140 esxi hosts and I will add Intel 8260 new hosts.

Cheers

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To migrate between the current hosts and new hosts, yes you will.

6140 is Skylake, 8260 is Cascade Lake, so you'll need EVC in Skylake mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Enabling, disabling, or modifying the EVC mode does not effect any powered on VMs.
A given EVC mode can however only be set if the physical hardware (CPU) supports it, and if no powered on VM has CPU features in use which are not supported for the given EVC mode.

Since CPU features are exposed to VMs only at power on, you can migrate VMs between ESXi hosts with the same, or newer CPUs (given it supports the exposed features) even without EVC being enabled.

That said, there's an issue with Skylake CPUs for which Intel introduced a new CPU feature, that they dropped again in later CPU models (see e.g. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76155 for details). Depending on the ESXi version/build on which a VM has been powered on, and the VM's virtual hardware version, you may need to shut down that VM in order to migrate it to the new EVC enabled cluster.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Enable EVC by doing:
1. Shutting down all VMs in this cluster
2. Enabling EVC in the cluster settings
3. Startup all VMs and add new hosts

Regards,
Patrik

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To migrate between the current hosts and new hosts, yes you will.

6140 is Skylake, 8260 is Cascade Lake, so you'll need EVC in Skylake mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

Appreciate your help and sincere apologies for responding late on the thread.  I have a follow up Q please.  Can we enable EVC with Skylake mode  on the in the cluster where I have only 6140 ESXI hosts without powering down any VMs. 

Also, Can we migrate VM from EVC disabled cluster (that is on old 6140 ESXI hosts ) to new EVC enabled cluster ( that is on 8260 ESXI hosts ) .  On the new cluster with 8260 model we will enable EVC with Skylate option. For example - when i create a new cluster with 8260 model - I will create it with skylake option and then vMotion migrate the VMs from old cluster ( 6140 ESXI hosts ) to new cluster. Storage is shared between the two cluster. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you have a EVC Mode which is a direct match to your current Host pCPUs that you can enable it always with running VMs.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Enabling, disabling, or modifying the EVC mode does not effect any powered on VMs.
A given EVC mode can however only be set if the physical hardware (CPU) supports it, and if no powered on VM has CPU features in use which are not supported for the given EVC mode.

Since CPU features are exposed to VMs only at power on, you can migrate VMs between ESXi hosts with the same, or newer CPUs (given it supports the exposed features) even without EVC being enabled.

That said, there's an issue with Skylake CPUs for which Intel introduced a new CPU feature, that they dropped again in later CPU models (see e.g. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76155 for details). Depending on the ESXi version/build on which a VM has been powered on, and the VM's virtual hardware version, you may need to shut down that VM in order to migrate it to the new EVC enabled cluster.

André

0 Kudos