VMware Cloud Community
toprock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMotion - Your Opinion

Hi Guys,

I'd like your opinion on how you would set up your vMotion network if you had the following network interfaces in your server:

2 x 10 Gig

8 x 1 Gig

I currently have my setup as follows:

vSwicth                      Nics                             MTU               Load Balancing

vSwicth0                    2 x 1Gbps                    1500               Virtual Port ID

vSwicth1                    2 x 10Gbps                  1500               Virtual Port ID

vSwicth2                    4 x 1Gbps                    9000               Virtual Port ID

There is 2 x 1Gbps cards that are not in use (Spare).

I've tested my vMotion network with 1,2,3, and 4 interfaces up during my testing and had the following results (I closed switch ports down during the testing); also the same VM using 64GB RAM was used:

Number of NICs          Time to vMotion Image

1                                  34 Sec

2                                  41 Sec

3                                  73 Sec

4                                  74 Sec

Does anyone have any theories on why it takes me longer to move the images when I have more interfaces in the vMotion vSwitch?

Also, I'd be interested in how you'd set up the interfaces in this network.

Regards

Jason

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have spare interfaces, then you may want to use them for a dedicated vMotion network using a multi-NIC setup. If you didn't configure multiple vmkernel ports with those multiple adapters, you weren't utilizing them. There's a KB that defines this design and how to configure it here which I'd recommend.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have spare interfaces, then you may want to use them for a dedicated vMotion network using a multi-NIC setup. If you didn't configure multiple vmkernel ports with those multiple adapters, you weren't utilizing them. There's a KB that defines this design and how to configure it here which I'd recommend.