VMware Cloud Community
sqloakland
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion SQL Server 2014 to a New Cluster

Hello..

I have an environment with multiple SQL Server 2014 databases which total around 100 GB.   We need to migrate this Windows SQL (2014) Server Always-on Availability Group Cluster to new hardware in the same data center with zero down time.  This would be from one VMware Cluster to a new VMware Cluster in the same data center. 

Would it be possible to use vMotion to accomplish this task?  If so is there documentation to offer insight?

Thank you for your help...

Noelle

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Are you using RDMs? What type of storage are you using, and is it shared between those clusters?

0 Kudos
sqloakland
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure of the underlying VMWare configuration as I am a DBA tasked with looking into this.  What would be the preferred configuration to achieve vMotion to the new cluster without downtime?

Thank you...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are numerous host and VM requirements which must be met, most are here:

Host Configuration for vMotion

Virtual Machine Conditions and Limitations for vMotion

To be honest though, the thing that is most likely to trip you up is CPU compatibility between your old and new hardware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sqloakland
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Noelle

0 Kudos