VMware Cloud Community
MyJourney
Contributor
Contributor

vDS remove HOST - Impact?

VcENTER 6.7(html5)  

The vSphere Distributed Switch configuration on some hosts differed from that of the vCenter Server.

Hi all,

I am quite new and the above is alerting on my NETWORKING.

I followed instructions to "rectify host" using 2 Web clients (HTML5 & FLEX) however this does not fix the problem.

I also tried using the local administrator account with no avail.

MY QUESTION:

To resolve - I will remove problematic HOST from DVS and add it back (2x HOSTs effected) on Cluster.

WHAT WILL THE REPOCUSSIONS BE? 

DO I NEED TO PLACE HOST INTO MAINTENANCE MODE?

CAN THIS BE PERFORMED DURING "Business Hours" OR SHOULD I SCHEDUAL DOWNTIME?

I hope I am on the right track!

Looking forward to response.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @MyJourney ,

If the ESXi management network and the VMs are still using the vDS, you will have issues removing the host from vDS. To avoid resulting the host in a partial state or loosing connectivity, please refer following options:

1. Place the host in maintenance mode and migrate all VMs from it before removing the host from vDS. Ensure that the hosts management network is moved to a standard switch before removal.

OR

2. Create a standard switch --> Migrate management network to it --> Migrate VMs to standard VM port groups

Hope that helps

ubecerro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @MyJourney,

To remove a host from a vDS, first you have configured a different switch for the hosts.  It is NOT necessary to put the host into maintenance mode.. It is recommended if you have DRS enabled so that the VMs are automatically migrated to other hosts.

Yes you have to take into account the following:

• Verify that physical NICs on the target hosts are migrated to a different switch.
  • Verify that VMkernel adapters on the hosts are migrated to a different switch.
  • Verify that virtual machine network adapters are migrated to a different switch.

Once this is verified, you can remove the host from vDS at any times.

Regards,

Ulises

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@MyJourney 

Moderator: Please refrain from using ALL CAPS in your posts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos