VMware Cloud Community
mbartle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDS + iSCSI Design Question / Best Practice

We have 10 hosts , each with 4 x 10GBe cards in them. We use Dell EMC SC series Arrays (one per DC)

2 Adapters are teamed with an MTU of 1500 running management and VM vLans and vMotion

1 Adapter goes to 1st iSCSI subnet - MTU 9000

1 Adapter goes to 2nd iSCSI subnet - MTU 9000

The 2 clusters are spread across 2 datacenters, but share the same IP space.

The only difference is site A tags the vLAN for iSCSI traffic and site B does not pass vLAN tags

My question is as follows :

I wish to migrate to vDS in part because it is now required for Tanzu on vSphere. Would it be better to create one dVS using 2 x 10GBe adapters for all management and VM traffic and leave the iSCSI traffic on standard switches 

or

Create 1 dVS for management + vMotion + vLAN traffic (MTU 1500)

Create 1 dVS for iSCSI (MTU 9000) however, create 4 port groups. 2 tagged for the iSCSI vLAN for site A and 2 without tags for site B.

It has been many years since i've had to do a migration to dVS and am not quite up to speed on what is best these days. 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I have a dozen Dell SC around .

We use vDS with 2x 10/25G for all ESXi/VM related stuff and always stay on vSS with also 2x10/25 for iSCSI.  There are little or no changes on the iSCSI network in the life span of our ESXi/Cluster so i dont see the big benefits for using vDS. For sure the basic setup is scripted and done on the ESXi shell so the overhead for setup the vSS is reduced in our environment.

Regards,
Joerg