VMware Cloud Community
Robert121281
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server Appliance 6.7U1 Deployment fails with "Vpxd VA Post-install script failed: ..."

Hi Team,

I have deployed several ESXi hosts with VMware_ESXi_6.7.0_10302608_Custom_Cisco_6.7.1.1.iso + patched with ESXi670-201811001.zip. While deploying vCenter Appliance 6.7U1 (VMware-VCSA-all-6.7.0-10244745_6.7U1.ios) - Windows UI installer - I am getting the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

I tried it twice, same issue. Installer is stuck at 99% for hours.

The logs tell nothing of interest for the time mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Kevlarski
Contributor
Contributor

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
Kevlarski
Contributor
Contributor

Log attached

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, something doesn't match up here. This ESXi host where you're deploying vCSA to...is it physical or nested? How many CPUs are dedicated to it? How much RAM?

0 Kudos
Kevlarski
Contributor
Contributor

It's a physical HP ML150 G6.  Intel Xeon E5502, 32GB RAM.  I did get an earlier version vCSA installed 100% and claimed success but was never able to get the webpage to work with 503 errors.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Kevlarski
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping to get a different server hardware deployed.  It's still relatively low spec but has 4 cores.  I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What you have should work fine. Something is still wonky here as this should be working. Why do you have two different DNS servers, again? Have you tried the deployment only specifying the one on the same subnet as the vCSA deployment?

0 Kudos
Kevlarski
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Changed the hardware to a Lenovo TS140 with 24GB RAM and 4 core Xeon E3-1226 and the wizard flew through in comparison and hit 100% on Stage 1.  Carried on to Stage 2 which is where I couldn't get to before.  I can see now where the NTP settings for the vCSA go.  Nothing failed and only had to run the wizard once.  Was finished in 30 mins instead of 2 hours then fail.

I can't think of anything different on this machine other than the hardware.  It's the same build of ESXi and same installation files used to deploy vCSA.  Both hosts were fresh installs with no VMs.  The network settings were mirrored except for the IP address of the host.  Nothing different in DNS other than adding the new host and PTR record.  All I can assume is that there is some kind of issue with the hardware that was getting the installer into an error state.  The logs are frustrating as it says it can't do something due to the current state but doesn't give any clues as to what state the machine is in or should be in.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
windowserveradm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have same problem and wasted nearly 3 Days with vCenter 7.0 Installation on Windows Server 2019, it's always stuck on 97 %. I have some changes like Time synchronization with host. Then i have installed on Windows Server 2012. It's went well and 100% in working.

Jannahia Ahmad

0 Kudos