VMware Cloud Community
AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter HA EVC levels

I have not tried yet but are there any restrictions that would prevent me from setting up vCenter HA with a passive node in a different cluster than the Active IF the EVC levels are different?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

All evc does is mask cpu instructions that the lowest level can't use, which is what allows vmotion to happen. IF the nodes are on a different cluster, that shouldn't matter, its just networking at that point. I can't remember but when we had vcha setup we had it on different clusters, but I don't remember if we have evc on, but again it shouldn't matter. If the active goes down and the passtive comes up they aren't moving they are just stopping and restarting. Outside of that they are replicating the database, which is also just networking.

With everything, test it out and make sure it works, but I see no reason for evc even to effect this.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As far as I know, regular HA is not affected by EVC so I think that vCenter HA is also not affected.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

However, VC HA has the Passive and Witness nodes actually running at the same time as the Active (primary).  Just not sure if the differences in EVC levels will prevent that.  I will be testing this soon and will report back.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

All evc does is mask cpu instructions that the lowest level can't use, which is what allows vmotion to happen. IF the nodes are on a different cluster, that shouldn't matter, its just networking at that point. I can't remember but when we had vcha setup we had it on different clusters, but I don't remember if we have evc on, but again it shouldn't matter. If the active goes down and the passtive comes up they aren't moving they are just stopping and restarting. Outside of that they are replicating the database, which is also just networking.

With everything, test it out and make sure it works, but I see no reason for evc even to effect this.

AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As an update, I was successfully able to setup vCenter HA with the Passive node being in a cluster at a different EVC level than the Active.

0 Kudos