VMware Cloud Community
zaognom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.7 licensing problem

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased license for VMware vSphere 6 Eccentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts.

I have two hosts and vcenter server for managing them (vMotion, HA...).

I applied license key directly to hosts and that works fine but I can`t license my vCenter.

On below picture you can see that my hosts are licensed, but vcenter server is still in evaluation mode.

pastedImage_1.png

When I go to License | Assets and try to apply license key to vcenter server it says:

Cannot add the following license keys. Existing licenses: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx Fix or remove these license keys to proceed.

pastedImage_4.png

Can you please tell me how to license my vcenter server.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teddy092
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi zaognom​,

Looks like you're tyring to use your vSphere licence to assign it to your vCenter.

Please, note that you cannot use a vSphere essentials or any other vSphere license (standard, Enterprise ) for vCenter.

You must use a "vCenter Standard" license for vCenter.

Good luck Smiley Wink

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons. Many thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you click "Assign License" i assume it doesn't appear on the "Existing Licence" tab at the top? If not, it sounds like you need to add the licence into vcenter first then assign it to your hosts from there.

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
zaognom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea something like that

But I am not sure how to add that license?

It seems that my hosts are licensed because when I click on "Assigne license"  on "Hosts" tab I can see license I added and everything looks OK.

pastedImage_0.png

But when i click on "Assigne license"  on "VCENTER SRVER SYSTEMS" tab I have only Evaluation license

pastedImage_4.png

And when i try to enter my license key on "New License"  i get error from first post

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ive never used the "kit" licence before but i would assume you get 2 separate licence keys, 1 for the hosts and another for vCenter. Are you trying to use the same licence key as you used for the hosts?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'd agree - all instances of vSphere I've seen have a separate vCenter Server licence key

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Teddy092
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi zaognom​,

Looks like you're tyring to use your vSphere licence to assign it to your vCenter.

Please, note that you cannot use a vSphere essentials or any other vSphere license (standard, Enterprise ) for vCenter.

You must use a "vCenter Standard" license for vCenter.

Good luck Smiley Wink

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons. Many thanks.
0 Kudos
zaognom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Teddy092

That was the problem indeed. I overlooked 2nd license for vcenter server.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

0 Kudos
Teddy092
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Happy to help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos