VMware Cloud Community
SilverGray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCSA 6.0 to 6.5 upgrade

In the "configure networking settings" of the 6.0 to 6.5 VCSA upgrade there are selectable networks.  At this moment my cluster uses only standard switches and my MGT(vCenter network) has two NICs assigned to it.  Can I select this same MGT(vCenter network) stand switch for the upgrade wizard(launched from a Windows server) OR do I have to use a vDS Ephemeral switch which I could create and assign an uplink NIC.  I suspect I could just reuse my standard switch with the same uplinks.  Can anyone confirm?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So in other words if I use the same standard switch's port group it should work as the source and temporary destination network in the migration wizard.   I don't have to worry about the "ephemeral - no binding" setting on a vDS because i don't use vDS and am migrating from standard to standard switching.

Yes, note however that - what you already mentioned - that in case of a distributed vSwitch, only Ephemeral port groups will be available in the wizard.

A question to better understand whats going on under the hood.  Why can't you use a none ephemeral distributed port group?  Is it because a none ephemeral port group can't be brought online(not selectable) with vCenter off during the migration?

That's an excellent question. IMO it may be a limitation in the deployment wizard, which allows a vCenter Server as well as an ESXi host as the deployment target!?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the easiest option is to select the port group to which your current vCSA is connected. Remember that the new vCSA will assume the old one's settings, so it needs to be able to access the same network/subnet.

André

0 Kudos
SilverGray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So in other words if I use the same standard switch's port group it should work as the source and temporary destination network in the migration wizard.   I don't have to worry about the "ephemeral - no binding" setting on a vDS because i don't use vDS and am migrating from standard to standard switching.

A question to better understand whats going on under the hood.  Why can't you use a none ephemeral distributed port group?  Is it because a none ephemeral port group can't be brought online(not selectable) with vCenter off during the migration?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, note however that - what you already mentioned - that in case of a distributed vSwitch, only Ephemeral port groups will be available in the wizard.

That's an excellent question. IMO it may be a limitation in the deployment wizard, which allows a vCenter Server as well as an ESXi host as the deployment target!?

André

0 Kudos