VMware Cloud Community
bbertlingcog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

v2p drive not accessible, SQL?

I virtualize 2 boxes from physical using the standalone converter 6.2 to my esxi 6.5 host.  the OS on C: is great, comes up no problems, but no mater what i do, the E: drive is not accessible, access denied.  dunno why.  i have virtualized several boxes now some with 1 drive some with multiple, anywhere in size from 60GB to 1.6TB without issue.  Only 2 Linux boxes are running a form of SQL for web hosting and they worked fine after conversion.

Details:

2 different servers

1 running WSUS, Print server, and Symantec antivirus, the other running something called Happy Pro

both running windows server 2008, both with 2 drives C: ~100GB and E:~1.5TB .   in the conversion i reduce the size of E by about 300GB as its free and unneeded.

box A running SQL for WSUS, box B running filemaker (which i understand is a mac version of SQL).

Logs say it all looks good, no errors that i can see.

let me know what yall think, i will probably build from scratch again, but i feel this wont be the last time i see this issue.

Thanks

Blake.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try adding the following lines to the vmx configuration of the VMs.

ahci.port.hotplug.enabled = "FALSE"

devices.hotPlug = "FALSE"

Without those two lines SCSI and SATA disks in the VM will have the "Removable" property and will appear in the "Eject" device at the notification/system tray area. If you have a Windows domain policy that enforces "read only" for removable disks, that could be the reason why the error "Access denied" is showing up.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try adding the following lines to the vmx configuration of the VMs.

ahci.port.hotplug.enabled = "FALSE"

devices.hotPlug = "FALSE"

Without those two lines SCSI and SATA disks in the VM will have the "Removable" property and will appear in the "Eject" device at the notification/system tray area. If you have a Windows domain policy that enforces "read only" for removable disks, that could be the reason why the error "Access denied" is showing up.

bbertlingcog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

awesome, i saw this somewhere, but i didnt catch to add the entry i just thought i was supposed to edit it, and it wasnt there. thanks so much!!!

0 Kudos