VMware Cloud Community
zarn
Contributor
Contributor

usb device driver not found (passthrough esx 5.5)

I am trying to access a "Seagate RSS Expansion Desk" usb drive over USB passthrough on ESX5.5 to Windows 7 vm (have also tried Windows 8 and Windows 2012 and none work). On direct Windows 7 it works perfectly.

However, In Windows 7 vm I get the following

Under device manager is see

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

"Device Status: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

I have tried disabling USB3.0 under BIOS to no avail.

Any ideas welcome on how to get this working. It's driving me nuts.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
rchaubey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not think so it Vmware problem . have a look on below article . if it resole the problem .

No USB storage devices are recognized anymore - Code 28

0 Kudos
zarn
Contributor
Contributor

Actually i did get it to work but only as USB 2.0 by disabling USB 3.0 in bios.

No question it's a vmware problem as it works fine directly on all win versions.

Now according to my reading Windows 8 supports USB 3.0 on vmware yet it doesn't work either...

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

According to KB, Esxi 5.5 needs this with the patch 3 to work with usb 3.0.

VMware Knowledge Base

pastedImage_1.png

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
zarn
Contributor
Contributor

I installed that patch and also latest.

Now i'm getting under device manager

"USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
zarn
Contributor
Contributor

I just read further release notes on the update.

"

• Passthrough of a USB 3.0 device using an xHCI controller (with virtual hardware version 😎 requires that the guest operating system have a functioning xHCI driver. Without a driver installed in the guest operating system, you cannot use USB 3.0 devices. For more details on USB 3.0 support, see the VMware vSphere 5.0 Release Notes.
  • For undetected USB devices, set the xHCI option to Disabled or Auto if the BIOS provides these options. Otherwise, check with the hardware vendor for details.
  • At the time of writing of this article, there is currently no known working xHCI driver for Windows."

So in other words why even bother. There are no drivers for xHCI for windows. That essentially means no USB 3.0 support whatsoever for windows vm guest.

0 Kudos
jUDASmILExAlmig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Zarn

Which USB controller you added to the VM? There're two USB controllers for VM which one is EHCI+UHCI(USB2.0) and another is XHCI(USB3.0). In your case:

1. there's no XHCI driver shipped with Windows7 then you need to install the driver first before you can use it

2. If you add a USB2.0 controller to the VM and connect an USB3.0 device from USB3.0 port on host to the VM it might not work properly.

Then you may try using Windows8 guest and add XHCI controller to the VM then connect the device to the VM to see if you can make it works.

0 Kudos