VMware Cloud Community
lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

upgrade to 6.5 or 6.7 from 6.0

HI,

My product is 6.0 enterprise plus. Support susggent to upgrade to 6.5 or 6.7as 6.0  will be end of suport on Mar.

I have a few question, could you check and give advice?

01. Could upgrading on vCenter appliance only, Host remaining 6.0?

02. if question 01 is positive, Does the host need to reboot during upgrade VC server?

Brgds

Liu Wei

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

To start I suggest you check the HW compatibility of the hosts with the versions of ESXi 6.5 or 6.7, it may turn out that the HW you have does not support the versions of ESXi you want to reach. The link is the following:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

While you can proceed to update the vcenter keeping the current ESXi versions, but you have to check the interoperability matrix that below I bring you the link and the screenshot related to your needs.

Upgrade path and Interoperability of VMware Products (70785)

Product Interoperability Matrix (vmware.com)

fabio1975_0-1623742255471.png

Another thing to check is the update path, which is if you can directly update the vcenter or ESXi hosts to the version you want without passing intermediate checks and this is the link to consult

Product Upgrade Path (vmware.com)

fabio1975_1-1623742340477.png

During the vcenter update it is not necessary to restart the HOSTs

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
rnandula
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@lwsamcn01  Before I answer your question I would highly recommend following the VMware Upgrade procedure documents.

01. Could upgrading on vCenter appliance only, Host remaining 6.0? -

Upgrading the vCenter Server and ESXi(host) are 2 different upgrade procedures. If you upgrade vCenter server from 6.0 to 6.5/6.7 only your vCenter server gets upgraded, but your host will be still running on the 6.0 version.

vCenter Server Upgrade procedure - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-C5CBFB63-4E95-4143...

ESXI Upgrade procedure - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc/GUID-122035F6-8433-463E...

02. if question 01 is positive, Does the host need to reboot during upgrade VC server?

No host will not be rebooted at the time of VC upgrade, but for VC you have to plan downtime.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

To start I suggest you check the HW compatibility of the hosts with the versions of ESXi 6.5 or 6.7, it may turn out that the HW you have does not support the versions of ESXi you want to reach. The link is the following:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

While you can proceed to update the vcenter keeping the current ESXi versions, but you have to check the interoperability matrix that below I bring you the link and the screenshot related to your needs.

Upgrade path and Interoperability of VMware Products (70785)

Product Interoperability Matrix (vmware.com)

fabio1975_0-1623742255471.png

Another thing to check is the update path, which is if you can directly update the vcenter or ESXi hosts to the version you want without passing intermediate checks and this is the link to consult

Product Upgrade Path (vmware.com)

fabio1975_1-1623742340477.png

During the vcenter update it is not necessary to restart the HOSTs

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
rnandula
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@lwsamcn01  Before I answer your question I would highly recommend following the VMware Upgrade procedure documents.

01. Could upgrading on vCenter appliance only, Host remaining 6.0? -

Upgrading the vCenter Server and ESXi(host) are 2 different upgrade procedures. If you upgrade vCenter server from 6.0 to 6.5/6.7 only your vCenter server gets upgraded, but your host will be still running on the 6.0 version.

vCenter Server Upgrade procedure - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-C5CBFB63-4E95-4143...

ESXI Upgrade procedure - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc/GUID-122035F6-8433-463E...

No host will not be rebooted at the time of VC upgrade, but for VC you have to plan downtime.

0 Kudos