VMware Cloud Community
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

upgrade from esxi 6.5 free to paid

Hello,

I have a esxi 6.5 free with 18 virtual machines, and i need to backup the machines online, and with the esxi 6.5 free edition it is not posible with any backup software like veem backup. My problem is i don´t know what version or tool i need to upgrade my esxi to be ableto make backups with veem backup (for examle).

Thanks 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no license limitation regarding the number of virtual machines. So an Essentials Kit license will do for that host.

In case you want to upgrade ESXi on the host to version 7, don't forget to upgrade the host's firmware too.
Also keep in mind that in case you have ESXi installed on an SD-Card, you may run into issues with ESXi 7.0!

As a side not: The memory usage on your host is close to the installed RAM, which btw. is an unusual amount of RAM (320GB) for that host. With the CPU in that host, a usualy (optimized) RAM configuration is 192, 384, or 768 GB due to its 6 memory channels.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, perfect!

Then i go to purchase en essentials kit.

About the memory, your reply is clear, cassually, we had planned a 64 GB memory upgrade for this wwkend, and then the host will be 384 GB RAM. thanks for the appintment.

Many Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Carlos Morán

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The binaries for all editions are the same. It's just a matter of entering a license key.
With just a single host, an Essentials Kit may be the least expensive option for you. The Essentials Kit allows you to run up to 3 ESXi hosts with a max. of two CPUs in each host, and also comes with a license for vCenter Server (in case you want/need to deploy it).

Note that you can only purchase the latest version, which is currently 7.0. However, once the license is registered in your "Customer Connect" account, you can downgrade the license keys to version 6 (and later upgrade them again if needed).

As a side note, Veeam also offers "Essentials" licenses.

André

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for your reply. Then, i undestand i need a license for the esxi latest version, now 7.0 , because with an essentials it not enought for me, because we have 18 host in the esxi server.

And, in order to update my esxi to 7.0, I have only to put the key of the 7.0?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... because we have 18 host in the esxi server.

From what I understood, you have one ESXi host with 18 VMs? Or is it really 18 physical hosts?

And, in order to update my esxi to 7.0, I have only to put the key of the 7.0?

Yes, the license keys are for the major version that's installed, e.g. a 6.x key for version 6.0, 6.5, or 6.7.

Please remember to verify that your hardware is supported before upgrading!

André

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, i have 18 virtual machines in a 1 phisical host. I have attached a screen capture of my esxi summary.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no license limitation regarding the number of virtual machines. So an Essentials Kit license will do for that host.

In case you want to upgrade ESXi on the host to version 7, don't forget to upgrade the host's firmware too.
Also keep in mind that in case you have ESXi installed on an SD-Card, you may run into issues with ESXi 7.0!

As a side not: The memory usage on your host is close to the installed RAM, which btw. is an unusual amount of RAM (320GB) for that host. With the CPU in that host, a usualy (optimized) RAM configuration is 192, 384, or 768 GB due to its 6 memory channels.

André

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, perfect!

Then i go to purchase en essentials kit.

About the memory, your reply is clear, cassually, we had planned a 64 GB memory upgrade for this wwkend, and then the host will be 384 GB RAM. thanks for the appintment.

Many Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Carlos Morán

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, One question more:

This license is correcto to my esxi?

https://store.vmware.com/store/vmwde/es_ES/pd/productID.285017500

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, I think so.

from the description:

El kit incluye 6 licencias de CPU para vSphere Essentials (para 3 servidores con un máximo de 2 procesadores cada uno) 
y 1 licencia para vCenter Server Essentials.

André

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, i understand the license is for 3 phisical servers with a maximun og 2 phisical procesors, i correct?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, each of the max. 3 ESXi hosts can have up to 2 sockes/CPUs.
That's why the bundle comes with 6 CPU socket licenses.

André

0 Kudos
carlosmorandiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok perfect, 

Thanks for your help, all is clear.

Have a nice day

Tags (2)
0 Kudos