VMware Cloud Community
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

updating customized .iso

Hi,

My customer has x nodes on DellEMC-ESXi-6.7U1-10764712-A03  build 10764712, i downloaded latest customized iso from dell page DellEMC-ESXi-6.7U3-15160138-A04 build15160138 and i upgraded the hosts to 6.7U3, Its recommended update this customized iso - for example from https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.7.0.html  ? or wait for the new version to be released from DELL EMC ?

Thx.

Tomas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are these standalone hosts, or what's the reason you don't use Update Manager?

Whether you use the provided image, or a patched image depends on your requirements (security, fixes, ...). If you want/need the current patches installed, consider creating a customized image (using e.g. GitHub - VFrontDe/ESXi-Customizer-PS). Most major vendors support installing VMware patches, as ong as they are for the same release/update as their vendor image (e.g. 6.7U3).

Hint: Instead of using an ISO image, you can also create a customized Offline (.zip) Bundle, and update/patch the hosts using the "esxcli software profile ..." command. This way an update takes ~20 seconds (plus one reboot) for an ESXi host where the OS is installed on HDD/SSD (~2minutes for SD cards).

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

In all the years we install/upgrade with the Dell Custom ISO and than apply the latest Patches from VMware by using VUM or from Command line.

If your Support comes directly from VMware rather than Dell than GSS often doesnt like the Vendor ISOs... but it was never a big deal in our cases

If you have vxRAIL than everything comes from Dell and we never install directly stuff from VMware

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos