lkomarci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"vSphere Web Client is missing VMware Lookup Service configuration."

Hi folks,

anyone familiar with this one?

"vSphere Web Client is missing VMware Lookup Service configuration."

Can't log into the vSphere Web Client. Trying to set it up for the first time to run on a web browser but failing to do so. Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, Vcenter/VCSA should always be higher or equivalent to ESxi version.

VCSA can never be lower version to esxi that you want to manage by vcenter .

192.168.1.230 is the IP given to your esxi server/host , you can deploy VCSA as VM under that host unlike you have other VM's as shows in the image above:

-->You are currently using 5.5. esxi which will soon going to be end of support , so I would recommend you to upgrade esxi first and then have latest VCSA deployed.  If you cannot offer upgrade of ESXI now then get your VCSA deployed to higher version than your esxi .

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc/GUID-F06BA415-66D8-42CD...  : 6.0

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-65-installation-setup-guid...   : 6.5

PG no: 187 explains the steps to deploy VCSA on esxi host .

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Need more info:

vC version:

Windows or appliance:

If 5.5 or 6.0 were you able to login via thick client and search inventory?

0 Kudos
lkomarci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Vijay,

yes I'm able to log in using thick client (v5.5.0). Not sure if this has anything to do with it but when I log into the thick client it pops out a warning. It's happened in the time when I was trying to set up the VMware vCenter Server Appliance on its own dedicated VM at x.x.10.15

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you login to ESXi host directly you see the pop-up. It's just telling you that the host is managed by VC 192.168.10.15.

And regarding the error message "missing VMware lookup service config" please share screenshot. Thank you!

0 Kudos
lkomarci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure exactly what I did to get this pop up. I was trying to get the web client working and I had to change the center appliance's IP to a dummy address, the appliance server, change back to its actual IP (the 10.15) and restart again - it didn't do the trick for the web client and as you can tell I have this warning message.

Btw now that I'm already bombing you with questions - you can see from the previous screenshot it says under the pop up "Reconnect vSphere client to this vCenter server (10.15) - would this do the trick in terms of this warning message?

Here's the screenshot of the error message from the web client

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks Vijay

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I had this problem once and  the solution was to log into the administration web interface, https://vcenter-server-name:5480, and re-run the  configuration wizard with default settings. That fixed the problem and it didn't delete the cluster and folder settings that I had already configured for this given vCenter server.

Also you cna check on certificate part mpost of the time changing IP will have impact on certs , check below blog :
Failed to connect to VMware lookup service - David Hill

http://vmtoday.com/2012/09/failed-to-connect-to-vmware-lookup-service-on-vmware-vcenter-virtual-appl...

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
lkomarci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately none of the mentioned tricks did it for me. Rerunning the config wizard didn't help and the certificate regeneration was already enabled.

The vCSA is currently running on a VM with suse linux. I didn't set this up but I'm thinking is it possible to redeploy the vCSA now that there are already VMs running and mustn't have any loss of service? If it's possible without creating an impact on the VMs what's the best way to do that? I've read that photon OS with vCSA is a really good option

cheers m8s

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you do not have DVS configured you can redeploy vCSA and recreate DC,cluster and add hosts.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sure, redeploying VCSA (if you have not configured anything yet) then yes you are good .

Redeploying VCSA shouldn't harm any VM's as it is residing on ESXi hosts .

0 Kudos
lkomarci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I'm running ESXi v5.5.0, does it matter which version of vCSA I deploy?

Also, is the .1.230 IP address of the ESXi host where I can deploy the VCSA?

pastedImage_0.png

thanks guys

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, Vcenter/VCSA should always be higher or equivalent to ESxi version.

VCSA can never be lower version to esxi that you want to manage by vcenter .

192.168.1.230 is the IP given to your esxi server/host , you can deploy VCSA as VM under that host unlike you have other VM's as shows in the image above:

-->You are currently using 5.5. esxi which will soon going to be end of support , so I would recommend you to upgrade esxi first and then have latest VCSA deployed.  If you cannot offer upgrade of ESXI now then get your VCSA deployed to higher version than your esxi .

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc/GUID-F06BA415-66D8-42CD...  : 6.0

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-65-installation-setup-guid...   : 6.5

PG no: 187 explains the steps to deploy VCSA on esxi host .

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos