VMware Cloud Community
MatthiasKoch
Contributor
Contributor

"the operation experienced a network error" when copying a VM

Good morning everybody,

I'm trying to copy a VM from a pendrive into a ESXi 5.5 cluster (from Windows Server 2012R2).

I'm trying to import a VM from a pendrive into an ESXi 5.5 cluster. I can't copy the vmdk files and I am getting the errormessage "the operation experienced a network error".

The source folder contains a group of files with a vmdk extension, i. e. the guest is named "Server0", and the files are named "Server0-s001.vmdk" to "Server0-s032.vmdk". Their sizes vary from 4.3GB down to 589,8KB. These files do not copy into the datastore, I am getting error message "the operation experienced a network error".

The rest of the files (vmx, vmxf and so on) copy, and I can add the VM to my inventory. It's in an undefined state and doesn't start. It has a virtual HDD of 160GB (provisioned), while the actual used size is roughly the sum of the s<XXX>.vmdk files mentioned above.

Why can't I copy those files into the datastore?

TIA

Matthias

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

can you try Winscp or other tools to copy your vmdk files.

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
MatthiasKoch
Contributor
Contributor

Where would I copy the files? The only procedure for copying files into the datastore I'm aware of is using the webclient or the native client. Both methods fail, the webclient throwing the "network error". Copying other files of comparable size (i. e. ISO-images) works fine.

0 Kudos
MatthiasKoch
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention that the storage is an attached ISCSI-System.

0 Kudos
MatthiasKoch
Contributor
Contributor

Update: only vmdk-files are affected.

0 Kudos