VMware Cloud Community
LateRaspberry32
Contributor
Contributor

"No VASA Provider for schema namespace (vmwarevmcrypt) found"

If I go to VM Storage Policies and look at "VM Encryption Policy" I see that all my datastores are incompatible for the following reason:

"No VASA Provider for schema namespace (vmwarevmcrypt) found"

I am using the new native key provider on 7.0 Update 2. Am I missing a component that needs to be installed?

The datastore I am trying to apply it to is a simple VMFS based datastore created from a SATA disk.

6 Replies
Lee-Dando
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm getting exactly the same but on 6.7 U3.

Thanks

Lee

jbajba
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I update this post because I get same message in vmware-sps/sps.log but ten times per seconds

I do not understand it because I have nowhere encryption setting enabled.

Everything is working well except the new veeam cdp filter that fails at the first initial replication of a VM with this error:

A general system error occurred: PBM error occurred during PreReconfigureCallback: Fault cause: vmodl.fault.SystemError

I guess there is a relationship between the veeam issue and vmware-sps, but I do not know if there is a connection with the above message :

tail -f sps.log | grep ERROR -A19

2021-11-04T08:58:30.809+01:00 [pool-9-thread-9] ERROR opId= com.vmware.pbm.hostsync.impl.HostSyncWorker - [HostSync host-1092033] Exception occurred while syncing host.
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: (pbm.fault.PBMFault) {
faultCause = null,
faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [
(vmodl.LocalizableMessage) {
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
key = com.vmware.pbm.pbmFault.locale,
arg = (vmodl.KeyAnyValue) [
(vmodl.KeyAnyValue) {
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
key = summary,
value = No VASA Provider for schema namespace (vmwarevmcrypt) found.
}
],
message = null
}
]
}
--
2021-11-04T08:58:30.809+01:00 [pool-9-thread-8] ERROR opId= com.vmware.pbm.hostsync.impl.HostSyncWorker - [HostSync host-1103965] Exception occurred while checking if host is inSync.
faultCause = null,
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
(vmodl.KeyAnyValue) {
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
key = summary,
}
],
message = null
}
]
}
--
2021-11-04T08:58:30.848+01:00 [pool-9-thread-8] ERROR opId= com.vmware.spbm.domain.policy.Profile - Exception occurred while finding the applicable sub-profile
(vmodl.fault.InvalidArgument) {
faultCause = null,
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
(vmodl.KeyAnyValue) {
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
key = summary,
}
],
message = null
}
],
invalidProperty = schemaNamespace
--
2021-11-04T08:58:30.848+01:00 [pool-9-thread-8] ERROR opId= com.vmware.pbm.hostsync.impl.HostSyncWorker - [HostSync host-1103965] Exception occurred while syncing host.
faultCause = null,
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
(vmodl.KeyAnyValue) {
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
key = summary,
}
],
message = null
}
]
}
--
2021-11-04T08:58:30.849+01:00 [pool-9-thread-2] ERROR opId= com.vmware.pbm.hostsync.impl.HostSyncWorker - [HostSync host-159390] Exception occurred while checking if host is inSync.
faultCause = null,
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
(vmodl.KeyAnyValue) {
dynamicType = null,
dynamicProperty = null,
key = summary,
}
],
message = null
}
]
}

jbajba
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

In fact I get same error when I try to update or clone or create a new VM Encryption Storage Policy.

I found this post : https://www.vmwarehelp.com/2021/10/08/no-vasa-provider-for-schema-namespace-vmwarevmcrypt-found/

But I am confused, the title is about VASA vmwarevmcrypt but the error message in screenshot is VASA VSAN.

Any one to tell me any advice ? 

Thank you

yorkman
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone find a solution to this? I didn't have this problem with ESXi 7.02d 18538813 but recently I've upgraded both hosts to 7.03c 19035710 so it seems like VMWare messed up something with the latest version. I've also deleted some datastores as I've had to move some data around so not sure if this had something to do with it.

Didn't notice until yesterday when I tried to migrate a Win'11 vm to another datastore but it won't let me do it because of the same error: '"Datastore does not match current VM policy. "No VASA Provider for schema namespace (vmwarevmcrypt) found."' It also shows all of my datastores to be incompatible with the default VM Encryption Policy. I am not using VSAN. The Win'11 vm works fine and the only way I can move it now is to remove it from inventory and manually copy over the files from one datastore to another.

0 Kudos
yorkman
Contributor
Contributor

I found the solution.

Recap: For me the problem was that when I tried to migrate any vm to another datastore I would get this error: "Datastore does not match current VM policy. "No VASA Provider for schema namespace (vmwarevmcrypt) found." Previously I'd try to fix it by editing the vm policy and changing the policy to a different one but that gave me another error. When I went to look at the VCSA -> Configure -> Storage Providers I'd see my 2 storage providers as:

IOFilter Provider esxi-01.mydomain.com
IOFilter Provider esxi-02.mydomaincom

Both would show the Status as Offline. To fix this here's what I did:

• Click on QueryStorageManager link
  • Click on Invoke method, then on the "storageManager" link in the Method Invocation Result
  • Click on the QueryProvider link and Invoke method
  • Find the vasaProvider-XXX link (it should be only one) in the Method Invocation Result for your  provider and click on it
  • Click on QueryProviderInfo link and Invoke Method
  • Search the result for uid field:
E.g: (sms.provider.VasaProviderInfo) { dynamicType = null, dynamicProperty = null, uid = b9ac8d33-fb57-4c98-8c42-be36a633f1ce <---------
Write it down as you will need it to invoke the unregister provider command
  • Open again the QueryStorageManager link (see step 1 and step 2)
  • Click on UnregisterProvider_Task link
  • Fill in the provider uid from step (6) and click on the invoke method
  • Restart the vCenter services
  • This should remove the provider from the VC.

Source: Remove VASA Provider from the vSphere Storage Monitoring Service (SMS) mob (56619) (vmware.com)

That's it! I did this for both my esxi hosts that were showing Offline. This removed them as storage providers.  After, I just had to click on "Synchronize Storage Providers" in VCSA -> Configure -> Storage Providers and when the page refreshed it showed both my storage providers back and with an Online status. I was then able to migrate my machines as needed and I no longer got the schema namespace error or that my datastores were Incompatible. 

0 Kudos
Sajir
Contributor
Contributor

I just came across the same issue and found /storage/log partition was full. 

Updating this old thread just in case anyone come across this issue.

0 Kudos