VMware Cloud Community
LukeLegend
Contributor
Contributor

"Host power management technology is not set to OS Controlled" on Cisco UCS B200-M3

I have been troubleshooting some performance issues (CPU latency) on one particular host which seems to have plenty of resource in theory.  The most likely candidate seems to be ...

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1018206

Especially given that in vROPs for this host (and others alarmingly) show a warning stating "Host power management technology is not set to OS Controlled" attached is a image of the BIOS power management settings.  Oddly I dont appear to be able to change them in the BIOS, not sure if its done at chassis level.  I wondered if you helpful chaps would kindly cast your eye over them and let me know if all looks correct.  Not sure if C1 Enhanced should be disabled, or C6 should be Enabled although I cant changed them regardless here.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

On Cisco UCS you change this in UCS-M.

0 Kudos
LukeLegend
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your advice mate, the chassis isn't my remit so I will consult with my colleague.  Just out of curiosity was there anything standout that looked suspicious?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, those are all defaults, but then again, UCS-M is where the bulk of the configuration is done so without seeing those server profiles that one screenshot isn't very significant.

0 Kudos
LukeLegend
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it definitely has a cap of some kind according to the default power policy (which I believe is applied everywhere) but not sure yet if its necessarily the culprit.  Plan on nabbing my colleague when he is back from lunch.

0 Kudos