VMware Cloud Community
ComedAG1
Contributor
Contributor

possibility to automate the migration or VM shutdown before the ESXi host shutdown

Dear Community,

it has already happened 1-2 times that they accidentally got to the power buttons of the servers and thus servers were shut down.

In the rack has 5 Intel servers (1U) next to it. If one server needs maintenance and we have to push out from rack, could happen that the other server presses the power button and the server turns off. (It has already happened 2-3 times) - We know the fault lies with our technicians, who pressed the button by mistake, but we would like to avoid this case.

I have already clarified with intel support that not possible to set in BIOS.

Is there a possibility to automate the migration or VM shutdown before the ESXi host shutdown?

Best regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
6 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Most rack servers have a physical protection on the power button to prevent accidental shutdowns.
What brand and model of server do you have?

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
King_SHA
Contributor
Contributor

What brand and model of server do you have?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If one presses a button the is no time for any action to take place.  It is sudden.  

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
ComedAG1
Contributor
Contributor

Intel Server S2600WF

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Reviewing the Technical Product Specification of the intel Server, it does not indicate that it has a physical lock for the power button.
In section 10.2 Front Panel Lockout it indicates that in the Bios you could disable the power and reset buttons. Attached link

https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.p...

Another option is to purchase a Front Locking Bezel for this intel server. Other brands have these protection elements.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ComedAG1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot

Best regards, 

Vince Bakula

COMED AG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos