VMware Cloud Community
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

overhead created by hot add

I realize there is overheard for running VMs, there have been a few charts published over the  years, one of which was very comprehensive is showing the overhead for various VM configurations, but the only one I seem to find these days is this one:

kwg66_0-1612208583626.png

This should be fine for most folks looking to get a handle on things, but I don't find this very helpful is understanding the overhead created by enabling hot add. 

I've read countless times that when you enable VM hot add the overheard consumed will be equal to if you set the VM's resource allocation to its maximums.   Well, looking at this chart, where an 8 CPU VM w just 16GB of memory is using 168MB of memory just because of its allocation, well, some of you might see where I'm going with this... 

I want to see a chart that shows me how much over head is in use for enabling hot add.  Why?   Because if the overhead is equal to a allocating the max resources to a VM, I'm finding it hard to believe because the maximums are now off the hook high, like 256 vCPUs w 6128GB of mem for vsphere 6.7, THAT MEANS OVERHEAD IS GOING TO BE OFF THE CHARTS!   

Can someone with insider knowledge please shed light on this because if this statement about hot add creating a condition where 'the max amount of resources a VM can have is used to determine the overhead,' well, I would think VMware would be screaming at you to let you know this is going to eat up your cluster's capacity fast if you have a large population of larger VMs.. this just doesn't seem to add up. 

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
iamsteve03
Contributor
Contributor

VM experiences incorporates a bunch of execution outlines that focus on a few key exhibition markers (KPIs) to assist you with deciding how well a virtual machine is performing. The outlines show asset use throughout some undefined time frame so you can distinguish bottlenecks, abnormalities, or change to a viewpoint posting each machine to see asset usage dependent on the measurement chose. While there are various components to think about when managing execution, VM bits of knowledge screens key working framework execution pointers identified with processor, memory, network connector, and circle use. Execution supplements the wellbeing checking element and helps uncover issues that demonstrate a potential framework part disappointment, support tuning and advancement to accomplish effectiveness, or backing scope quantification.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for vSphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos