VMware Cloud Community
nimicyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nic

hi,

let`s say we use vswitch to handle VMs traffic.this vswitch has 2 nics underneath.this vswitch has an ip?or only the underlying nics?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The vSwitch has no IP, it is managed using vSphere admin tools which set the configuration for the VMkernel to apply.

The underlying physical NIC ports have no IPs either, they are only being used as uplink ports between the vSwitch and the physical switch ports they are plugged into.

The virtual NICs assigned to each of the VMs using the vSwitch will have IPs, assigned either statically or automatically depending on the configuration inside each guest OS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The vSwitch has no IP, it is managed using vSphere admin tools which set the configuration for the VMkernel to apply.

The underlying physical NIC ports have no IPs either, they are only being used as uplink ports between the vSwitch and the physical switch ports they are plugged into.

The virtual NICs assigned to each of the VMs using the vSwitch will have IPs, assigned either statically or automatically depending on the configuration inside each guest OS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

scott28tt's answer is perfect. I enclose only the official manual that may be useful to you.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos