VMware Cloud Community
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

new install esxi 5.1 u3, windows 2008 sbs, odd behavior

Recently updated (clean install) to exsi 5.1 u3 rollup.   Imported several Linux VM' without issue.   Installed Windows SBS 2008 from CD, same disk as used in previous esxi 5.0 install, where it worked perfectly.   

This install, seem to have oddness, in that for virtually any thing I open up, the new window hangs and cannot be closed.  Some are not seen in TaskMgr.  I can log out and back in.   I did some looking from a windows perspective, but it seems this may be a host issue.   I have reinstalled the guest several times, increasing disk space and RAM.

Cannot even run event view from GUI or command line.  Hangs.   Known issue with esxi 5.x ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Not noticed that in the past, but that was WAY in the past. Did you make sure VMware tools got installed? Just out of curiosity, why would you do a fresh install (or update) to such an outdated version of ESXi?

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Last first, older h/w running esxi 4.0.    Went with 5.1 as 6.5 complained about some unsupported deal on the hardware.  Seemed to install fine and booted.   But then I ran into issues I had forgotten about, such as no more windows client and found it confusing to sort out how to mange that version.   Seemed to be references to "web client" and "client" as different deals but both seemed to refer to html.  Being pressed for time and needing to get stuff back up, went with 5.1 which installed without complaint.  Oh, and I have the genuine SBS DVD's.

I never got tools installed, as almost anything that opens a window seems to "hang" inside that window.   The auto run windows pops up, but once something is executed from there, it hangs.   Most times cannot even exit the window.  Can to a "log off" and log in again to windows.   Seemed a first it had to be a windows issue, as the Linux guests run fine and tools installed fine.  Except for one where the iso did not automount and I had to go search for it.   But as I dug into it, there seemed to be some issues at esxi level.   And it all worked fine on 4.0

I do still have the 6.5 install on another HD and may to bring it up and import these (after a new export) just to see.   But I guess I need the admin tools worked out first.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the hardware exactly?

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That matters???   OK, so it's an ASUS M4A78T-E, Seasonic power supply of that era and 12 GB of Crucial ECC Ram, again of that era.  Not sure if that specific ASUS was ever on the approved list, probably was, but FWIW recently I did not see any approved boards listed, only boxes.  Another aside, I had tried setting this up as a RAID 1, using on board support, but esxi saw each drive individually and wanted me to pick one to install to. 

I am on the hunt for newer hardware so I can run 6.5. Truth be told, I would just as soon use what I have and add RAM but at current prices, may as well sniff the marketplace for a real server.

0 Kudos