VMware Cloud Community
ArnelJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my vmware 6.7 not booting Anyone know how to fix?

my vmware 6.7 not booting errors

bank5: invalid update counter

bank5: invalid build number

no hypervisor found

Anyone know how to fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you booted the ESXi host from the USB key, you should be able to see the server's internal disk datastore(s). If you can't see them you should run a rescan of HBA and Storage.

Once you have access to the datastore(s) where the VMs are located, you should register the VMs on the EXi host by following the procedure below:
1. Right-click Host in the VMware Host Client inventory and select Create/Register VM.  (The New virtual machine 

wizard opens.)

2. Select Register an existing virtual machine and click Next.

3. Select one or more virtual machines you wish to register. By selecting a datastore or directory, all VMs found in that

datastore or directory will be registered.

4. Next and Finish

e_espinel_0-1628788864735.png

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
Those messages indicate serious problems with the ESXi boot device.

The first thing to do is to check the Hardware error log, it can be directly by logging into the BIOS/UEFI or by logging into your internal administration module (if your server has this device).

If your Boot device is an internal disk, you should perform a hardware test of this disk with an external tool.

If your device is a USB key, you will have to install a new USB key and reinstall ESXi.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ArnelJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will run hardware diagnostics on the server now. It is an HP Proliant server. None of the drives currently show any error lights but I'll run diags.

What prompted the issue is we had a bad storm and lost power, when powering back on we received the error message.

I did make and install esxi on a usb and was able to boot from usb and can see the datastore, but have not made any changes.

Regards,

Arnel

0 Kudos
ArnelJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enrique,

All the hardware passed. It did fail a battery check, but I have a battery to replace it.

Do you have any other ideas I can do to get server and vm's running?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you installed and managed to boot from USB, the first thing would be to copy the VMs to an external disk (if this is possible).
If you have a Smart Array Controller, you could install the HP Smart array CLI to verify the controller attached link
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX-b56a6fbdd4fc473c91f34c080d#tab-history

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
ArnelJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just replaced the battery. I can start copying the vm's to an external disk. The array controller is a Smart Array P440.

What are the steps to do after that to get the unit up and running? Can I use the usb to get vm's up and running quickly without reinstalling esxi on hard drives?

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you booted the ESXi host from the USB key, you should be able to see the server's internal disk datastore(s). If you can't see them you should run a rescan of HBA and Storage.

Once you have access to the datastore(s) where the VMs are located, you should register the VMs on the EXi host by following the procedure below:
1. Right-click Host in the VMware Host Client inventory and select Create/Register VM.  (The New virtual machine 

wizard opens.)

2. Select Register an existing virtual machine and click Next.

3. Select one or more virtual machines you wish to register. By selecting a datastore or directory, all VMs found in that

datastore or directory will be registered.

4. Next and Finish

e_espinel_0-1628788864735.png

Enrique Espinel
ArnelJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enrique,

Thanks for your clear instructions. I was able to follow them and now can see all the VM's. I just need to figure out the portgroups and virtual switch settings, but getting closer.

Regards,

Arnel

0 Kudos