VMware Cloud Community
jason-35
Contributor
Contributor

multiple users

Hi,  We are using VMware to run a virtual machine on a server To run an application.  We are planning to have two workstations which can log into the virtual machine. I am concerned that if one user is logged onto the  virtual machine the other user can log in and the first user will be automatically logged off and the applications they are running will not be shutdown in a controlled way.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You must state which VMware product this situation relates to.

Clues as to what OS and application the VM runs, and exactly what method is being used for the users to "log into the the virtual machine" would be helpful...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jason-35
Contributor
Contributor

We are using VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) with Windows Server 2019.  We are running Rhode and Schwarz Apps and our software to control several Transceivers and RF scanners.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Still not enough information on how Windows is being accessed - via the VM console or via something such as RDP?

Also, a moderator should move your thread - the {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
jason-35
Contributor
Contributor

The main software application  has a server client relationship.  There are two instances of client software which have different levels of privileges. 

We have two workstations usr 1 and usr 2 that need access to the two different instances client 1 and client 2 (These clients would run on their own windows version.  However when the instance "client 1" is in use by "usr1"  then "usr2" must be blocked from signing into "Client 1".  "Usr 2" would typically log into "Client 2".  However usr 1 and 2 must be able to swap but only when the client is free.

If Usr 1  signs out from "Client 1" he must be blocked from signing into "Client 2" if its in use. 

In my experience the RDP approach allows "usr2"  to log into a machine being used by usr1 which would effectively log off "usr1" without "usr1" having any opportunity to stop "usr2".

On this basis I believe the VM Console would be a better choice from what I've read in the link below.  It would be able to be configured so that any usr once logged onto a client via the virtual machine would have exclusive access.  The applications we have controlling RF transmitters must be secure and usrers cannot be logged off without approval.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-89E7E8F0-DB2B-437...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need a Windows solution, I don't think there's anything in vSphere to do what you want.