VMware Cloud Community
nlaurino
Contributor
Contributor

moving vmware host and vcenter to a new domain

We are in process of migrating one AD Domain into another. Domain1.domain.com, is being migrated to Domain2.domain.local. All datacenter equipment, networking, and routing, will remain, only AD is being migrated.

Since we need to change the FQDN, of the VMware, host, and vCenter appliance, the process has us stumped.

We are going to be removing the AD environment in Domain1, once all users, computers, and servers, are migrated over.

The question is, how do we restructure the VMware environment in Domain1, so all ESXI host, and vCenter, use the new domain FQDN?

I am thinking, we need to remove each host from the current vCenter, change the host name to the new domain FQDN, build a new vCenter appliance, on the new Domain (all networking, storage, etc. will remain the same) and attach the renamed host to the new vCenter. Does that sound right?

Now the tricky part. Assuming the steps I take above are correct, how do I move the VM's to the new host?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimSheppard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some extra info would be helpful...

Which version of vSphere? How large is your environment (how many hosts, how many VMs?) Do you have any distributed switches? Any other VMware products integrated like vRealize / Horizon etc?

Information regarding changing the FQDN on vCenter 6.7 U3 with Embedded PSC here - Changing Your vCenter Server's FQDN - YouTube

0 Kudos