VMware Cloud Community
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

moving the rdm mapping file

All we are doing is upgrading our VMFS5 to VMFS6, we aren't moving raw storage to a new array.   

- we have a SQL cluster still using physical mode RDMs

- the upgrade of VMFS5 to VMFS6 is irrelevant to the RDM raw storage as its not formatted w VMFS

- the only thing still on the VMFS 5 formatted datastore is the cluster's system disks and the mapping files, and all we want to do is move the system disk and the mapping files to a new VMFS6 volume, we don't care about moving the data on the raw disk, it can stay where it is, we are only upgrading vmfs5 to vmfs65

How can I just move the RDM file from its current VMFS5 volume to a newly created VMFS6 volume without affecting the raw disk the RDM file maps to?  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@kwg66 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Let me kick this off with my own reply:

By default the RDM mapping files are dropped in the VM's configuration folder, so perhaps if I just migrate the system disk along with the configuration file the RDM mapping files will also migrate to the new datastore.   I'm going to test this out as there really isn't any concern for converting raw disk to vmdk if you aren't touching those disks.  

Also, I did find a post about how, from the command prompt in the shell, you can initial create the RDM mapping file and put it wherever you want instead of having it created in the VM's folder.   

I'm going to have the operations team migrate the conifg file and see if the RDP mapping files go with it.   Report back soon.  

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

RDM-vmdk files are a special type of links. Do not move them - instead create them from scratch in the new location.

Ulli

0 Kudos