VMware Cloud Community
xavien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

moving a disk to a 64bit server

Hi..

I need to upgrade my file server from 2008 32 bit to 2012 64 bit.. my shared folders drive is around 1 TB and I was wondering if there was a way to install a new 2012 server and somehow detach the drive from the old server and add to the new 64 bit system or will i have to just take the bullet and copy all the folders across to a new drive?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can detach disk (which your share folders reside) from the old server and add it to the new server but you should be careful about the NTFS and Share permissions. you can also use fsmigrate tool from Microsoft.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can detach disk (which your share folders reside) from the old server and add it to the new server but you should be careful about the NTFS and Share permissions. you can also use fsmigrate tool from Microsoft.

0 Kudos
xavien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

should i use the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version of fsmigrate? never used it before

0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You need to install the toolkit on the target server. Hence, 64bit version.

0 Kudos
xavien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i did a quick test with another server.. works like a dream and keeps all ntfs permissions

0 Kudos
xavien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i didn't need the migration tool as it is a simple disk move and not a file move.. pops across with no issues and all remains as before

0 Kudos